Saturday, December 17, 2005

Yet another way Blade Runner predicted our future

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain. Time to die."
--Batty, from Blade Runner (1982)
While I was thinking about blogging, and how writing is good for preserving our memories, the above quote came to mind. All of our thoughts and dreams are unique in our shared human destiny. Like Batty, we are created to wander and experience (and die one day); it is sad to lose or forget our experiences. I believe everything we feel and think is stored in our brain (hardware) somewhere, but we can't always access it. Writing, in its transformation from thought to permanence to communication, does justice to our humanity.

This is as good a time as any to say that Blade Runner is my favorite movie of all time (the Director's Cut is a justified improvement). The only comment I can add to the ton of material available on this film was made by Howie Muzika when we were buddies in film school around 1994. From his cinematographer's viewpoint, he said that Blade Runner is the only film he could think of where you can look at any single frame, and it is about as perfect as it can get: effectively composed, lit properly, relevant to the overall effect of the film, and simply beautiful.

"That's all I got to say about that." [Noting that Blade Runner is #102 on the IMDB's Top 250 Movies and Forrest Gump is immediately above it at #101.]

5 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Hey there! Welcome to the blogosphere. I'm here via Running2ks: True-Blue Semi-Crunchy Mama's post. She has praised you to the sky and I had to see the person who helped her out of a dark time.

I loved Blade Runner too. Very into the Sci-fi and Fantasy stuff.

Have a super holiday time. (I would wish you a Merry Christmas, but I really am not sure if you'd appreciate it.)

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Welcome to blogland! Running2Ks sent me over here. Thank you for being the lifeline to someone during such a dark time. My 1st husband committed suicide 7 years ago, and I have struggled with depression myself, so I know what a wonderful thing you did. Shabat Shalom!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Jen said...

"Writing, in its transformation from thought to permanence to communication, does justice to our humanity."

Now, that's powerful! Wow.

Welcome to the blogosphere, I surfed in from R2Ks' to say howdy! I'll be back, but not in that creepy Terminator way. Too bad not all of the Sci Fi films from the 80s were good...

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Do you have any idea how I racked my brain trying to figure out who dan to be'er sheva was?
=)

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh, wow, Phil finally explained the name. WHEW!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home